The mission of the Coalition to Protect Maryland Burial Sites is to promote the preservation and protection of the burial sites, cemeteries, and grave yards in Maryland.
The Coalition, through its members in each county, hopes to reach out to all areas of the the State to:
- Facilitate the exchange of information among individuals and organizations concerned about the protection of Maryland burial sites.
- Increase public awareness of the historic and cultural significance of burial sites and the serious threats to them.
- Draft and gain passage of new laws to more effectively deal with criminal acts against burial sites and to establish effective uniform procedures for the protection and preservation of burials sites regardless of their age, cultural affiliation, or condition.
- Organize support for stronger laws in Maryland to protect burial sites – Native American burials as well as traditional cemeteries.
- Raise funds for statewide public education programs, focused on burial site protection, and to provide information and guidance to any government agency, group, organization, or individual interested in preserving burial sites.