Shrine of St. Anthony
Ellicott City, Howard County, Maryland
Cemetery advocates—individuals and organization representatives—gathered on May 2, 2015, in Howard County to share information, congratulate successful outcomes, commiserate about sad situations, and to strengthen their resolve to protect cemeteries throughout Maryland. The Shrine of St. Anthony, in the countryside between Ellicott City and Clarksville, provided a lovely setting for the day. The stone manor house named “Folly Quarter” by the Carroll family was purchased by the Franciscan Friars in 1928. Since then the property has been known for its novitiate, chapel, shrine building of Maryland marble, courtyard, and acres of rolling hills and woodlands.
2015 Periwinkle Awards were presented to Glenn Wallace (Monocacy Cemetery database) and Stephen Bockmiller and the City of Hagerstown (Rose Hill Cemetery map and City of Hagerstown ordinance).
Dave Mills introduced our new logo featuring an obelisk and the state map.
Discussions about increasing CPMBS visibility and effectiveness continue; currently the public knows us through the Courier, website, and activities.
The membership elected new directors; Fred Dorsey (Howard County) and Jack Carson (Montgomery), re-elected others, and thanked Tom Mason for his service.
At the annual gathering, two speakers and the Open Forum provided opportunities to discuss current items in cemetery preservation. Tina Simmons, Cemetery Chair of the Anne Arundel Genealogical Society, described what she has learned in 25 years of research, with emphasis on obvious and not-so- obvious places in which to find information. Director Marilyn Harris-Davis spoke about the responsibilities and challenges of her Maryland Office of Cemetery Oversight. She responded to a variety of questions and comments on topics of concern — enforcement of perpetual care commitments, abandoned and neglected cemeteries, protection of pet cemeteries, issues with church ownership — and pledged a closer relationship with Maryland cemetery advocates.
Sandra Wright and her energetic helpers laid out full tables for Silent Auction bidders, who took home household items, books, artwork, and more. After lunch, most attendees moved to nearby Linthicum Chapel Cemetery to enjoy a tour led by Richard Raver, president of its Board. The cemetery dates from 1907, when farmers in the Clarksville area opened a common burial ground that was not associated with any denomination. The still-active cemetery currently holds about 370 interments.
All told, it was a good day!